Wednesday, September 4, 2013

SEPTEMBER 2: WHITEHORSE to STEWART

Distance: 1068 km (664 miles)

After checking out and getting gas, I started the morning with a short hike at Miles Canyon which is just a little east of Whitehorse. I very nice hike that could have been much longer if I didn't need to make some mileage.

I continued on the Alaska Highway almost to Watson Lake where I took the Cassier Highway south. I stopped to make the kids names out of white rocks on a hillside. I got fuel along the way because I knew the upcoming stretch has even less opportunities along the way.

At the start of the Cassier, the scenery was alright and road was in poor condition with plenty of hazards. I spotted a bald eagle at an unnamed lake. At Boya Lake, the scenery got much better and the lake was amazing. The Cassier turnout to be spectacular. The road conditions got better and the scenery was fantastic. I made another stop in Dease Lake at a local grocery/convenience store. I was impressed with their selection and reasonable prices, especially considering they did not have competition for hundreds of miles.

In the stretch of road from 100 miles north to the turn toward Stewart, I saw 23 black bears in 17 different locations including a mom and her three cubs. I did not get too many good pictures. Most of them ran when they saw me coming toward them. It was difficult to get good pictures from the car when the windshield is covered in bugs. I tried to keep my distance as there was no one around for miles, just me and them. A few came so close to the car I could have petted them... but didn't.

I turned off the Cassier Highway toward Stewart and saw even more bears. I had planned to car camp at Meziadin Junction however after seeing so many bears, I decided to see if there was anything available in town. I got lucky and the last room at the King Edward Hotel. I also lucked out that the bar downstairs was still serving food for another 20 minutes. I had one of the best fish sandwiches I ever had. I am not sure if it was that good or I was just that hungry. I hadn't had a meal all day so by 10 PM, I was ready to eat! I sat and listened to the locals and cleaned my plate. Stewart is neat but it is unlike anyplace I've seen in the States.
 
 
Miles Canyon

Miles Canyon Bridge





Eagle

Boya Lake

Mud Lake

Cassier Highway

Good Hope Lake


Simmons Lake

Dease Lake





 

No comments:

Post a Comment