Thursday, August 29, 2013

AUGUST 28: EDMONTON to FORT NELSON


Distance: 1095 km (680 miles)

After 16 hours on the road, I arrived at Fort Nelson, BC to get a few hours of sleep. Progress was slow through and north of Edmonton. Once I got onto country roads, it was relatively smooth sailing. I took Alberta Hwy 43 through Whitecourt and Valleyview to Grande Prairie where I fueled up and bought a few supplies. Continuing on Hwy 43 through Beaverlodge I crossed into British Columbia where the road changed to BC Hwy 2. In Pouce Coupe, I grabbed dinner at Subway and found the official start of the Alaska Highway in Dawson Creek.

I spent the evening driving the Alaska Highway north through Taylor and Fort St. John to a motel in Fort Nelson. The amount of vehicles on the road dropped significantly as I passed Fort St. John. Once the sun set and the work trucks headed home from the adjacent logging roads, the highway became eerily quiet. I only saw 3 trucks fin about a 2 hour period. I did spot 2 black bears; however the camera couldn't get them without a flash. Considering they didn't seem too happy about my high-beams and it was just them and me, I didn't try to get any closer.

 
I named her Winona in tribute to Les Claypool in Beaverlodge, Alberta

 
The official start of the Alaska (aka AlCan) Highway in Dawson Creek, British Columbia


 
Mile marker zero in town.

 
Charlie Lake outside Fort St. John, British Columbia.

No comments:

Post a Comment