Saturday, August 31, 2013

AUGUST 30: WHITEHORSE to FAIRBANKS

Distance: 954 km (593 miles)

The drive from Whitehorse to Fairbanks was interesting. I fueled up in Whitehorse and started along my way. Since I will be backtracking this same route in a few days, my strategy was to take pictures in the Yukon and pedal hard through Alaska and then do the opposite on the way back. I did take some pictures in Alaska but more will follow.

The Yukon scenery was fantastic. The roads however deteriorated quickly about an hour outside Whitehorse. I was starting to get motion sick and I about wore out the brakes and suspension in my rental car. In addition of the snow-capped mountains, crystal blue and green lakes and mountain flowers, I saw some river otters. I made stops for gas in Haines Junction and Beaver Creek, which was the last roadside stop before the border.

Upon crossing the border into Alaska, the roads went from gravel and frost heaves to perfectly paved smooth blacktop. While the roads got much better, the scenery was nice but less compelling. I stopped in Tok to mail some postcards and make a few phone calls.

At Delta Junction, the official Alaska Highway comes to an end. It joins the Richardson Highway which completes the route to Fairbanks. Just outside Fairbanks, I stopped at North Pole, Alaska and you'll never guess who I saw at the Santaland Store!

I checked in to my hotel, went to Walmart for some supplies and toured downtown Fairbanks. I took some KFC back to the hotel for my only meal of the day.
 
Alaska State Line
 
 
The Yukon from Whitehorse to the Border:




 
I drove toward this mountain for quite some time without seeing where the road was going to turn.

 
Native Indian Burial Site



 
River Otters


 
Alaska from the Border to Fairbanks:

 
Delta, Alaska

 
North Pole, Alaska

 
Golden Heart Plaza in Fairbanks

1 comment:

  1. The kids loved your pictures, especially the one of you and Santa!

    ReplyDelete