Friday, August 30, 2013

AUGUST 29: FORT NELSON to WHITEHORSE

Distance: 964 km (600 miles)

Today exceeded all expectations. I fueled up in Fort Nelson before hitting the road. At first, the fog was so thick I could barely see 10 feet in front of me. I passed through some mountain passes where there was a significant construction delay. Once the fog burned off, my fortunes improved dramatically.

It started by seeing a gray wolf on the road. He was huge! When I first saw him, I thought it was a female elk. Initially he didn't budge and stared me down. I tried to get a picture but by the time I got my camera ready, he darted in to the brush.

A few minutes later, I stopped to take a picture of the scenery, when I heard what sounded like women's heels behind and walking toward me. I turned slowly and found a small herd of reindeer clicking their hooves on the pavement. In the Summit and Muncho Lake areas, I saw plenty of reindeer, deer, big horn sheep, mountain goats, bison and black bear. The wildlife plus the amazing scenery of Muncho Lake was fantastic!

Past the Liard River, I crossed into the Yukon Territory. At Watson Lake, which is near the border, I fueled up and stopped at the Sign Post Forest. It was interesting but I couldn't spend too much time as I had some serious mileage to make. The drive through Teslin and along Teslin Lake was spectacular. Marsh Lake was nice but I only stopped briefly so I could get to Whitehorse, my final destination this evening.

Whitehorse is the capital of the Yukon Territory and its largest “city”. My first impression of the town is that it has just recently entered into the 1990's and is a bit on the wild side. I walked to Boston Pizza, which seems very popular in Western Canada, for dinner. The food was good but I am confused by the name. I would understand New York, Chicago or California Pizza, but Boston, what's up with that ey?

Tomorrow will be my third big mileage day in a row to get to Fairbanks. Hopefully I can find some WiFi to upload these entries.

 












 
Traffic jam.




 
Sign Post Forest in Watson Lake.


 
I joined local tradition by building my sweetheart's name in the hillside along the highway.




1 comment:

  1. Awesome pictures! I'm a twee sad I am not there witnessing the beauty and animals with you. Keep on trucking and have fun!! And be sure to enjoy the peace and quiet while you have it, haha. Btw, thankfully my name is short, ey?! ;)

    ReplyDelete